Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Encaustic Collograph with Elise Wagner


 
Akua Intaglio Inks
nontoxic soy and honey based inks
Encaustic collograph printing...  can't seem to get enough of it.  I joined Elise Wagner in her Portland studio for her encaustic collograph printing class.  Elise is the mastermind behind using encaustic wax for collograph printing.  She's been experimenting with it for over 7 years, bringing it from an idea in her mind to where it is now - an emerging art form.

Prints Drying
A couple of times, a year she opens her studio for a workshop in combining wax and printing.  The rest of the year, she offers the classes around the country and in 2015 there will be a big event at R&F Paints in New York in August.

Inking Plates for the press
I took my first class in encaustic collograph at Atelier Meridian in November.  I was totally hooked and now even more so.  Learning from the printmaker's side to begin with and now more information from the encaustic painter's side providing me with a combination of perspectives. 
 
Encaustic collograph print
I'm very anxious to try and try again at this new endeavor, which means lots of trial and error as I make my way along the learning curve.  However, the holidays are bringing a rest from the studio and all the excitement and information rolling around in my brain.  It will all simmer away in the back of my mind, slowly cooking up some thing that will surprise me in the new year. 




4 comments:

  1. This process is SO cool Marjie....thanks for the info. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am fascinated by the whole process and the inks look amazing... so different from the stinky gloopy ones from when we were at college or when i was teaching... those inks got absolutely everywhere and I was perpetually followed by a waft of ink... I do wish I lived in Portland so i could attend with you... now that would be fun...xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks like a very complicated process b and one i wouldn't know where to begin but I can see how it would fascinate you with the combination of printing and encaustic. I'll look forward to seeing more of your original art in the new year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Want To Increase Your ClickBank Banner Commissions And Traffic?

    Bannerizer made it easy for you to promote ClickBank products with banners, simply go to Bannerizer, and grab the banner codes for your favorite ClickBank products or use the Universal ClickBank Banner Rotator Tool to promote all of the available ClickBank products.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...