Thursday, November 20, 2014

Encaustic Collograph, Pomegranate Art and Pulling Prints




Poms
encaustic collograph print 8x8
I feel a bit like a giddy school girl with a crush.  I just took a class at a Portland print studio - Atelier Meridian.  The class was taught by master printer Jane Pagliarulo  - Two half days of pulling prints -  I am totally hooked.  Jane is brilliant at combining monotype printing and encaustic collograph and was a great instructor.  And the studio is a wonderful place to work.  Granted I have A LOT to learn - but I'm kinda pleased with my first attempts.

3 Poms
encaustic collograph print 8x8

Collograph printing is about using collage or wax in this case to build a relief design which is then inked and run through the press.  We used Akua water based inks as they work well with the wax and also are a non toxic ink.  The textures the wax provides are incredible and beautiful.  I spent my time experimenting with an encaustic hot pen and seeing if I could get raised line on a flat background to work.  It did and it didn't, I lost a lot of detail, created halos and I learned a lot and have a ways to go to get it right - but there are a lot of good things happening within the prints.  Below are the plates that were used to create the prints.  They are beautiful in their own right with the remnants of ink still on them.

encaustic collograph plate for "Poms"
These plates were created on encaustic board.  We were also using plexiglass as our substrates.  These encaustic boards can now be mounted as paintings when I am done with them - double benefit.  Love - that's all I can say.  Going back for more print time when I get back to Portland. 

encaustic collograph plate for "3 Poms"
Happy Friday everyone!
And - my friend Nic over at Nicsearth.com gave me the most amazing gift - you have to go have a look.  I am over the moon grateful - thank you, Nic!


20 comments:

  1. Wow, this looks like a lot of work. Love it!

    Happy PPF!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow they are amazing. The plates are works of art too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks complicated but fun and it's clear from your post how much you enjoyed it. I love that the board is a work of art in its own right after you've made the prints. Thank you for the mention and I'm so pleased you like it. X

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, they are all fantastic! Love how you have made these. Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Incredible prints! I love all of it! And I did see your gorgeous dog on her blog...she did such an amazing job!! I love Nic...she has such a wonderful kind and loving heart for all living creatures!!

    Hugs Giggles

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are Beautiful! What a fun class....

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks so good...love the results!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Amazing, Marji. How wonderful that you are still learning new techniques even though you are such a talented and professional encaustic and other art media artist. This does indeed look like tons of fun and I really like the results.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Holy cow! These are gorgeous. What an amazing time you must have had.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow - love love love the pomegranates (one of my fave fruits). I had to go read up on encaustic and what you are doing - amazing. Thanks for sharing this beautiful art form. Visiting from PPF #43

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks like a fascinating process. So glad you have enjoyed it and shared it with us- love the pomegranates! Your gift from Nic is so very special and I know what it must mean to you. Truly a beautiful gift. Happy PPF!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow this looks like it was such an exciting and inspirational class. Thanks for teaching us more about this process. I had never heard about collograph printing and am going to find out more. Your pomegranate artworks really came out well. I love Nic's doggie portrait. What a fabulous gift. Happy PPF

    ReplyDelete
  14. A very interesting process, and the results are stunning. I like it a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looks like a cool technique -- thank you for sharing and happy PPF!

    ReplyDelete
  16. oh my, these are stunning. the workshop sounds amazing. i have taking a print workshop where we made texture boards using joint compound. i am in love having textured mono prints. thanks for sharing the process! have a lovely week.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the art you shared here... i love the look of encaustic painting. The textures are amazing here. And that lovely pet portrait you got as a gift. Wow. I can see how touched you must have been. xx

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...