Thursday, February 6, 2014

Mixed Media, Encaustic and Rockin Rockfish Rock Star


Rock Star
encaustic mixed media 6x12
There is more than meets the eye when it comes to mixed media paintings.  I totally admire them and I have come to realize how difficult they are to create.  Actually, I already knew how hard it is to create good collage but now that I've tried it again - I am humbled.  It took me a while, but I'm happy with how this one turned out. 
 
This painting started out as a very unfortunate guitar playing woman "rocker".  She honestly never got out of the ugly teenager state - the more I worked on her the poor thing became more challenged in her appearance.  She's been hanging out in the studio waiting to become a layer and move forward to bigger and better things.  Today seemed to be a likely day to repurpose my Rockin Rocker Girl.  So in staying with the "rocker" theme, I covered up the unfortunate woman with paper and fabric and tissue and book pages and whatever else was in reach in the studio and launched on with the Rockin Rockfish Rock Star.   I've been wanting to do mixed media fish for a long time and today seemed to be the day to give it a try.  Can't tell you how happy it made me to have that poor musician fade away into the background - you can actually still see a peep of  her hair and forehead under the fishy tail :).
 
The original plan was to make the body of the fish from the mixed bits, but since the guitar player had to be covered, I decided to go with the mixed bits in the background.  I've been experimenting with putting fabrics into the wax paintings and I'm liking it.  So, if any of you have lightweight, printed on or woven natural fiber fabrics that you want to get rid of - I'll take them :)

So, as I'm working on the mixed media thing - collage thing - I'm learning a lot - like I need more paper!! (and stuff) ;)

So, I ask that fellow collage artists and mixed media Mavens from Paint Party Friday, please to pass forward any tips or tricks to creating good collage and mixed media paintings.  It would be greatly appreciated :)
Happy Friday!!

17 comments:

  1. Fantastic, love your fish very much! Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  2. It' all in the texture you've created on this fish that it almost looks as if it is coming out of the work, giving dimension and movement to the mixed media piece. I believe you have achieved your goal in creating an excellent MM Painting.

    Annabelle : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow your collaging is superb Marji. Happy PPF, Annette x

    http://nettysartadventures.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love all the colors and paper layers in your rock star piece Marji!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the rock star! He looks so real.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The fish looks cool, real rock star! All the colors just add to his cool dude looks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A great collage. Lots of lovely textures.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am really in love with your painting - fish are such a great subject! I really have to get my encaustic supplies out again. I love the finish that wax gives to a painting or collage.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this. I don't know anything about mixed media really but I do like the effects mixed media artists get and this is superb.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous...I doubt you need any tips you are so intuitive in making a stunning piece of work. It may taint your process!! Love the texture, the color combo and the pattern in this whole piece!! Wow as always so impressed.

    Hugs Giggles

    ReplyDelete
  11. I know next to nothing about mixed media work of this kind, but I love this fish! The textures and design of it are terrific!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Excellent art as usual. Love the blend and the merge!
    BTW that's a gorgeous Marji in the right :)
    HPPF!
    Deepa
    http://deepazworld.blogspot.in/

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love this! Great vibrant colors and fabulous texture. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have just started myself to make creations with mixed media - and I have a lots of ideas so I don't know where to start. thihi... I believe your little fishy is wonderful - to make more kind of 3D - you could make the form or fins out of silkclay - that is something I am trying now make things out of silk clay or foam clay - I must admit i like the silk clay as the best - but again what kind of textures one is looking for. I just bought the Sizzix machine and look forward to do more. I hope you can use some of what I meantioned? ... Looking forward to see more (getting your new posts in my inbox) :D

    ReplyDelete
  15. oh how fun! i may have some fabric for you... I will e-mail you!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...