Monday, September 27, 2010

More Inspiration

I went to a working black smith - an open studio tour. A working black smith is like supersized jewelry making. I was like a kid in a candy store - giant hammering things, rolling mills, cutters, tons of metal everywhere...

I used to make jewelry. It seems so long ago - but really only about 5 years ago. I gave it up to move on to a blossoming business venture. What I didn't realize at the time, was that when I gave up making jewelry, I gave up the artist in me. I gave up my creative outlet. I packed up my studio into boxes and basically shut the door on my creative self.

I really had no idea what impact this would have on me. Its only recently that I have realized how this decision to remove the creative outlet in my life effected every aspect of me... happiness, health, well being - all of it. I look back now and I see how I was withering away, becoming a shadow of my former self but not realizing the cause for all this inner turmoil and unhappiness.

Now I understand. For me, life without creativity is really not a way I can live. At the beginning of this year, a creative lifeline was thrown to me and thank goodness I had the sense to grab on. The life and air is coming back into my world and thankfully I'm getting my creative self back on track. It hasn't been an easy journey, but one I am so greatful to be on. The change in me is remarkable, at least I think so.

I don't think I will go back to making jewelry. I feel like now the canvas is white and blank. A blank canvas can be overwhelming or it can be an opportunity. I'm choosing the opportunity option. I am choosing to use this creative flame inside of me to try some new things. I am seeing this as a new beginning, a fresh start. An opportunity for me once again to say - I am an artist.

1 comment:

  1. Oh Marji, I sooo understand you, so so much!! But you never know, maybe like you say a blank canvas is an opportunity, and you will go back to make jewellery someday! And that day I definitely want you to contact me since I am crazy for jewellery of any kind :-))))

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...